Monday, January 28, 2008

Last night my oldest (14) and I laid in bed and watched Dane Cook together. After the show was over, she turned off the tv and then started asking me all sorts of questions. She is a freshman now and FULL of questions. One of the questions was how old does she have to be before she can have sex. She was like "We've never really estiblished an age, so what is it?" I told her "Ideally, I would like you to wait until you are married, but I know that isn't going to happen. So you have to wait until you are atleast 18." She asked why that age, I told her any time before that & I can send the guy to jail. Not that I would, but I know me & I know I will atleast consider it for the guy that does that to my baby!

I love that my daughter can ask me anything. It just scares the shit out of me- knowing what I was doing at her age and what my friends were doing. She's a good girl and I want to keep her that way. She did ask me what I did at her age, what my bff and I did and why did we do stupid stuff like that, and she went on to ask me what I've done as an adult. Who I lost my virginity to, what I did with boyfriends before her father and after. I try to be completely honest with her but I don't want her doing some of the stuff I've done. I was pregnant for her at 19. I want more for her. I want all of my kids to have a better life than I have had and I don't want them to stuggle like I have.

Life with a teenager. It's never dull!

1 comment:

Little Wing said...

Good post Chelle.
You are a great mama.
Your daughter is very fortunate to have a mama she can talk to about anything.
I wish I had been as fortunate.
And believe me, you didn't do anything any dumber than I did as a teenager!